Sunday, December 9, 2018

Addressing Representation



     I have not noticed too many films targeted toward myself, about similar situations that I experience daily, but as I perceive some of these films, I don't believe they are an equal representation of myself or my ideas. Within my project, I think I will discuss youth and teen culture in today’s environment and maturing into early adulthood. I also hope to establish a comedy aspect to the film whether through the irony of all the characters or just the equal distribution of jokes to the characters. Comedic films such as Airplane, let all of the characters receive and play tricks on each other. But comedic films today as I have noticed, tend to focus on picking on a specific character for comedic relief; 21 Jump Street is a good example of this as the majority of the film is based on making jokes toward Jonah Hills’s character and not other characters as profoundly.

     One film that does discuss the topic of maturing into adulthood greatly in depth is Boyhood and I believe it is a solid representation of youth and growing up, especially showing the “rawness” of the situations. However often there are many more films that “powder up” a situation to try to make it more meaningful like A Fault in Our Stars. I don't feel that the representation of these scenarios is fair and the same as my own experiences. In my personal experiences, I find the irony in life as very comedic and I want to express that in my own way as I don't believe it is very common anymore in films and also within my family and friends, we all equally joke around and mess with everyone.

     Of these common representations in today’s films, I know I would want to bring my personal experiences to light in the true ways that it had happened, and not fluffing up the situation. I would want to bring irony and comedy into the story and use references to older films or parody parts of other types of genres. I believe that all creator such as myself should have the freedom to reshape how specific issues or people are represented in our own light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR

This may be the last time that I write on here, but it has been a long journey and I am more than excited to have completed it. I hope you h...